Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Joy is up to you

I was reading once again the beginning of  "Ask and it is Given" by Esther and Jerry Hicks where Abraham says: "Be that confident, joyful, always looking for something else wonderful to turn your attention to person." I thought I  want to be that person.


As I pondered more on this phrase these thoughts came to me: Joy is in every day. Joy in in every moment.  Feel the joy, see the good, look for the silver lining. Expect the good, expect the best, live in joy.



We are the ones who chose to live in joy or not. We do so with our thoughts, with what we focus on and give our attention to. You may say that joy is not under our control because circumstances may rob us of our joy. I believe that although we may face challenges, we may face sorrow or pain, joy is still available to us. How? By being aware in each moment what brings us joy.


I remember several weeks back being in the hospice center while my mother lay near death. I was making espresso in the small kitchen they have for the families. The social worker came in and we chatted for a bit. She asked me how I was doing and I said okay. Then she asked me how I coped and I told her, "By focusing on the good things in my life, no matter how small they may be. The smell of the espresso brewing this very minute brings me enjoyment and I can savor it for this moment, then go back to my mom's room,"


I allowed myself to enjoy that momentary respite from the sadness that permeated my life. I took comfort in that moment in time. I refused to allow dire circumstances to rob me completely of  my joy.

I encourage you to reach for the joy in your every day. No matter where you are, no matter what the challenge, there are good things around you. Focus on them. Then look for more positive things and expand your appreciation of the good. Your joy is up to you.



Mari Mitchell Porter
Certified Life Coach
954 243-7297
http://lifecoachmari.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment