Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 12, 2011

How fear can hinder relationships

How Fear can Hinder Relationships

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself” Franklin D. Roosevelt

How can fear keep us from finding that special someone?

I’ve heard people say,  "I’ll never find a good man/woman. All the people I meet are losers. I’ll be alone the rest of my life."

That type of thinking gets them exactly what they expect, meeting the wrong people for them. But how can they change this thinking.  By using logic. They must convince themselves of the truth by analyzing the facts.

 

Thought: All the people I meet are losers.

Analysis:

Are all people losers? No, of course not.

Why do I meet only losers? Well, they’re not all losers, some I just don’t like or didn’t hit it off with.

What is the truth? I’ve been meeting people who I don’t like or just didn’t hit It off with. Some were nice, some weren’t, none were right for me.

Why is that? I guess I haven’t met the right person yet.

What can you do about it? Go out and meet more people.

 

Now, this person can create a new belief:  “I haven’t met the right person for me yet, but as I continue to date and meet more people that I will find the right one.”

This turns the fear which is actually: “I’ll be alone the rest of my life” into hope “As I continue to date I will find the right one.”

The easy part is to use the logic, the harder part is to re-train your thinking, This is done with practice. Every time you think: “I’ll be alone for the rest of my life.” You acknowledge the negative thought then immediately turn it into the positive thought: “As I continue to date, I will find the right one.”

You can use this method with any negative self-talk you want to eliminate. 


Mari Mitchell Porter
Certified Life Coach
http://lifecoachmari.com/
mari@lifecoachmari.com

No comments:

Post a Comment